How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Port Stanley, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Music and Memory: Through our Music and Memory program, residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- Montessorri & Snozelen Cart: Our Montessorri & Snozelen Cart is an important tool used by our Behavioural Support Team to help resident with dementia connect with things, textures and activities from their past.
- Rhythm Remedies Group: Our Rhythm Remedies Group uses bells, instruments and drums to follow a sequence and discover their rhythm.
- Bell Choir: The Bell Choir meets on Tuesday mornings and performs every year at our Christmas Party.
- Pub Night: We have Pub Night once a week where residents can relax and enjoy up to 2 drinks. We also host a once-a-month non-alcoholic Pub Night.
- Pet Therapy: Through our Pet Therapy program, a therapy dog is brought into the home once a week for one-on-one visits with residents.
- Monthly Birthday Party: At our monthly Birthday Party we celebrate our residents who are having birthdays that month.
- Live Entertainment: We have live entertainment from the community twice a week.
- Baking Club: The Baking Club is popular, especially when the smell of fresh baked pies or cookies fill our home.
- Summer Campfires: Our twice-monthly campfires in summer are very popular with residents and family members as we enjoy hotdogs and s’mores.
- Fall Fair: Every fall we host our own Fall Fair with ring toss, cotton candy, games and more.
- Monthly Themes: Each month has a theme so we are always learning about something new each month.
- Exercise Class: Exercise classes are held 3 times a week.
- Current Events Group: The Current Events discussion Group convenes once a week to discuss the headlines and issues of the day.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist